This afternoon I went to, let’s call it, my weekly “self-improvement” class. Today’s group discussion was about how change comes only through action. And it got me thinking. I’m sure everyone has something about themselves they would like to alter or improve upon. (If you don’t, I quite honestly don’t believe you.) Whether it be physical, emotional, or economical in nature, action is vital to change.
As a missionary, I taught investigators that by aligning their lives with the teachings of the gospel and by having faith, God would help them change their lives for the better. The scriptures use the term “real intent” meaning that God’s help comes through not only a desire for change but, more importantly, through the individual’s willingness to act. I don’t think that it is was a coincidence that Moroni added this particular verbiage in his “promise.” And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost. (Moroni 10:4)
In General Conference a few years ago, Elder Henry B. Eyring talked about this same topic illustrated by Joseph Smith’s first vision. He wrote, Joseph Smith prayed with the intent not only to listen but to obey. He did not ask only to know the truth. He was committed to act upon whatever God would communicate to him. His written account makes clear that he prayed with real intent, determined to comply with whatever answer he received. The Father and His Beloved Son appeared to him in answer to his prayer. And he was told how to act, as he had desired. He obeyed like a child. He was told to join none of the churches. He did as he was told. And because of his faithfulness, in the days and months and years ahead his prayers were answered with a flood of light and truth. The fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ and the keys of the kingdom of God were restored to the earth. His humble dependence on God led to the Restoration of the gospel, with authority and sacred ordinances. Because of that Restoration, we have the chance to choose the most priceless independence to be free of the bondage of sin through the cleansing power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. (November 2001 Ensign)
These two examples, consequently two of the first topics presented to investigators by missionaries, clearly illustrate the need to act. And I think this formula works when we’re trying to make righteous changes in our lives. Any self-improvement endeavor is possible if we exercise real intent.













4 comments:
Love the post.
Love the label.
:-)
Where did you learn to monologue like that, m'dear? :-) Loved it.
I learned from the best.
Oh, and to clear the air, my weekly "self-improvement" seminar is a meeting I attend with coworkers, not a weekly visit to a psychiatrist as my blog may have accidentally inferred. Though I am not opposed to such help . . . :)
Post a Comment