5.24.2008

Good things come to those who procrastinate

Procrastination isn’t always a bad thing, right? Well, in this case, it wasn’t. When I moved last February, I had to say a tearful goodbye to my in-house washer and dryer (they belonged to the apartment I was renting). My new house was an incredible upgrade in many, many ways but it did not have a washer and dryer. Being the procrastinator I am, I put off this purchase time and time again, just not quite wanting to fork over the money. About a week ago, Paula, a coworker of mine overheard me talking about dragging my laundry up to my sister’s house every week. She mentioned that she had purchased a new dryer and was looking to give away her old one. Score! And she refused to let me pay for it, bless her heart. So one day after work last week, Matt helped me grab the dryer from Paula’s house. At this point I thought, man, I'm so lucky, now I only have to buy a washer!

But, of course, I procrastinated this purchase a bit longer as well . . .

Then a couple days later, Dad emailed me and said that Mom thought it a good idea that I take and use Grandma R’s old washing machine. It obviously wouldn’t be getting any use since Grandma moved to an assisted living center. Score again! On Saturday morning, Jenni called and said that she, Matt, and the boys were meeting Dad at Grandma’s house to extricate the washing machine. And, yes, extricate is an applicable word here. I’m so sad I missed seeing the ordeal because, from what I was told, getting it out was quite the process. The washing machine was located in the back corner of a narrow hallway off the back of the kitchen and required what Dad called “a ton of wiggling.” And, get this, Grandma had put on the back of the washer the purchase date. The washer and I are the same age; it is a match made in heaven! Eventually Dad and Matt got it out and into Dad’s truck (which was an altogether different challenge) and they all made there way to my house.

Upon getting the washing machine inside, there was a noticeable problem: they were too big to fit into my laundry room when placed side-by-side. Dang. But being the thinker that we keep her around for being, Jenni came up with an alternate idea. The washing machine fit if they installed it sideways. But, hey, beggars (and procrastinators) can't be choosers, right? In the end, both the washer and the dryer work marvelously. And they were both free!

See if I do anything in a timely manner ever again . . .

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Ever again would indicate that there had been a first time....

Mia said...

That was too funny! Congrats on your new (29 year old) washer and dryer. What would we do without family?

Laurie said...

Woo-hoo! Congratulations, Lis! ...LOVE the washer in sideways, love it! :)

Matt said...

And no one took the best picture of the day. Jenni, Bob and Matt with their geeky bluetooth headsets in the ear. Yep, a family of dorks. One day I hope to have it implanted in my ear much like Ender had one. (Reference to the best book ever, Ender's Game.

Lisa said...

You're a dork even without the headset, Matt.