I finally got a chance to check out the new City Creek Center yesterday afternoon. I decided to take my group down there for some "inspiration" and do a little "market research." (Any excuse to get out of the office on a Monday, right?) But it was the perfect day to go. Beautiful weather. Wasn't too busy. And though I don't particularly love shopping, I fully enjoyed exploring the new area. There is something really special about that part of downtown, right there next to Temple Square. It's the center of the city, the beginning of a state, the heart of a religion.
There are about ninety stores and it appears like many more are slotted to open in the near future. There's a retractable glass roof, a creek that runs through the property, giving nod (I assume) to the historically significant City Creek that the center is named after, and a pedestrian skybridge. There's also a Trax stop so getting there is pretty slick, especially if you don't want to bother with parking.
I loved the fact that they preserved the old, cast-iron ZCMI facade. To me it's a staple of downtown Salt Lake City. After all, it's been there since the 1870s.
There are also quite a few places to eat. We chose to have lunch at the Blue Lemon, located on South Temple right across from the entrance to Temple Square. The food was great and there were lots of places to eat outside.
All in all, I was impressed.



















4 comments:
Sweet! Since Tom worked on that project quite a bit we are both anxious to check it out when we can get down there- hopefully soon!
Yes, you should come. You would love it. And I would love to see you! :)
Don't love shopping? Reeeeeeally????
I love the pics, by the way. I'm glad the ZCMI storefront is the same, too. Hopefully, they'll still do the Christmas window displays.
Post a Comment