7.12.2011

Sydney: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday

Remember how I'd said that I got a phone call from the printer while I was asleep? Well, they were calling to say that a driver would be picking me up 4:00 the next morning. Thankfully, I was already up and ready to go at that time because of the jet lag. But what proved to be unfortunate was that it would be nearly two full days and two full nights before I'd see my hotel room again. (Luckily I had a toothbrush and some toothpaste in my G-bag.) This fact seems just downright criminal when you know how great my hotel room is this year. I'm on the 17th floor with a gorgeous Hyde Park and city view. The front desk clerk was from Nevada and felt bad that I had to wait so long to check in. So he upgraded my room for free. I obviously didn't stop him.


But enough about my sweet accommodations, let's get back to work . . . By early Wednesday morning, the printing portion of the catalog was finished. While this means that I'll have a couple of free days to do some sightseeing, if definitely came at a cost. This year our press rep was unfortunately out of town while I was here so I was left to work directly with the pressmen. This in and of itself wasn't a big deal, but it did mean that there wasn't anyone looking at the big picture and making sure the pace was reasonable. And quite honestly, it was seriously brutal. I finally got back to the hotel really early Wednesday morning and got a couple of hours of much needed sleep.

Wednesday afternoon I went over to the Australian Stampin' Up! office. I wasn't able to make it there last year and was excited to finally meet in person those that I email all the time. They just recently moved into their new office and I could tell they love it there. And for good reason; it's a beautiful suite with a fantastic view of the Sydney skyline. After a quick tour, I went with Clare back over to the press to oversee the bindery portion of the catalog production. When we got there, someone told me I looked "refreshed." I told him it was amazing what some sleep and a long shower could do for a person.

After finishing up with the bindery, we went back to the SU! office and I went to a late lunch with Sophie and Cate. They took me to a really great restaurant called Thainabox. From what I'm told, Sydney does Thai better than Thailand does Thai. And after eating at this place I might have to agree (though I can't really give an accurate assessment since I've never been to Thailand). But I had a great time getting to know Clare, Sophie, and Cate a lot better. I left really wishing they all worked in the Riverton office instead of here in Australia.


This evening I walked down to Darling Harbour. The area was originally part of the commercial port of Sydney. And during the Great Depression it become known as "The Hungry Mile," a reference to the waterside workers searching for jobs along the wharves. It was redeveloped in the 1980s as a pedestrian and tourist precinct and was a venue of the 2000 Summer Olympics. It offers a bunch of great options, from yummy restaurants and live entertainment to beautiful gardens and fantastic attractions. It was already late into the evening when I made it down there so I just wandered around, enjoyed the waterfront ambiance, and did some more shopping. (Ya, filling out my declaration at customs is going to be brutal when I fly home.)


More to come . . .

1 comment:

Joellyn said...

You are bringing back lots of great memories for me! You are looking fab by the way. Miss ya!