
I saw The Fighting Seabees years ago and liked it. And I still liked it when I watched it again today. (Gosh, I love lazy Sunday afternoons.) John Wayne is Wedge Donovan, a tough construction boss that works to create the U.S. Navy's Seabees (or construction battalions) during WWII. It's a fictionalized story based on a very real group of men.
And, in my opinion, that's one of the things that makes this film so great. In it you learn about the Seabees, a group that you don't hear about very often but that play an integral role in any war or conflict abroad. They use their critical and tactical construction skills to accomplish projects like building bases and bulldozing and paving thousands of miles of roadways and airstrips in a wide variety of military theaters. They're also involved in peacetime construction efforts, rebuilding infrastructures destroyed by war, and supporting domestic recovery efforts. Today there are around 17,000 Seabees, active and reserve, serving in the United States Navy.


Another thing that makes this film great? John Wayne does the Jitterbug. :)

2 movies down. 48 more to go.













No comments:
Post a Comment