10.28.2010

Portland: Getting there IS half the fun

After finishing up all the press checks, I decided to take my time heading back to Utah. In fact, on Thursday, it took me six hours to drive the 63 miles between the cities of Portland and Hood River. This is why . . .

I got off the freeway in Troutdale, did some quick shopping at the Columbia Gorge Premium Outlets, and then headed down the Historic Columbia River Highway. This road, with its stone guard walls and graceful arches, showcase some of the best waterfalls, foliage, and overlooks in the Columbia Gorge. So I had to make a few sightseeing stops along the way. One stop was to see The Vista House, which stands high above the river as a memorial to Oregon pioneers and offers an inspiring view of the Gorge and the peaks of the Cascade Mountain Range. Another stop was to hike Multnomah Falls, the most visited natural site in Oregon where visitors stand in awe at the sight and sound of pure water cascading over a ledge some 620 feet up. And another stop was to see Horsetail Falls, named for its impressive horsetail-shaped waterfall and crystal-clear wading pool.

It was approaching evening by the time I got to Hood River so I decided to call it a day and checked into a hotel for the night. For three nights, actually.


More to come . . .

No comments: