8.11.2009

Worth sticking around for

Tonight I spent the evening with Jenni and boys. We had dinner (Hello my good friend, Mountain Mike!), participated in some sweet Family Home Evening action, enjoyed the beautiful fresh air outside, and just had a nice night. After the boys were in bed, I volunteered to stick around so Jenni could run over to a neighbor’s house. Obviously she didn’t want to leave the boys home alone. Not long after she left I received a text that started a conversation between my nine-year-old nephew and me:

Brandon: Good night.

Me: Sleep tight! Don’t let the bed bugs bite!

Brandon: Ow! I found a bed bug!

Me: Well, bit him back!

Brandon: He did not taste good.

Me: I didn’t tell you to eat him! I just said to bite him, you silly!!

Brandon: I couldn’t bit him. He tried to pull my tongue out.

Me: Sounds very painful. Well, I guess you showed him who was boss! I don’t think he’ll try to bite you again, seeing as how he is dead in your stomach.

Brandon: He’s not dead in my stomach. He’s alive in there!

Me: Aack! That sounds uncomfortable for both you and the bug. Perhaps I shouldn’t have told you to bite him in the first place.

Brandon: Aaah! I’m being attacked by lots of bugs!

Me: Well, it’s been nice knowing you! Good luck!!

Brandon: Now they are all trying to pull my tongue off!

Me: I fear that talking will be difficult if you no longer have a tongue. Perhaps you should go to sleep before your mom gets back and gets mad at both of us!

Brandon: Okay. Good night!

Me: Good night my favorite tongue-eaten-by-bed-bugs-nine-year-old nephew of mine. I love you more than anything in the world!

Brandon: I love you more, too. Good night.



Ah, shucks. This was worth sticking around for. Honestly, I would do anything, and give up everything, for this kid.

5 comments:

Mia said...

Oh my wonderfulness!

Jenni said...

WAIL!

Jenni said...

I seriously can't let that kid take the cell phone downstairs. I think he texted me about 8 times while I was at Sue's. He was a busy boy, apparently.

Suzanne said...

So funny. I loved your last comment to him. Every child needs someone just like you in his life.

Laurie said...

Awh, Lis... you're such a good aunt - and Bran's such a sweet (albeit nutty, sometimes) kid. I love it!