8.13.2010

Sydney: The Sydney Explorer

I decided not to rent a car while I was there. Instead I walked and used the public transit system to get around when I wasn't at the press working. I also spent a day sightseeing via the Sydney Explorer, a visitor-oriented bus which takes in some of the city's major attractions. I could get off and back on wherever and whenever I wanted and it was a great way to see a ton of cool sites and hear about the history of Sydney.


One of the places I stopped at for awhile was Paddy's Market. It's the perfect place to shop if you like rows and rows of booths selling clothing, food, bags, jewelery, fruit, vegetables, CDs, flowers, housewares, sunglasses, oh man, EVERYTHING you could ever want, and at negotiable prices. And I even came across a booth selling paper crafting supplies. (See, I was doing "research" for work, not sightseeing . . . )


The bus also drove through areas away from the city. At one stop I visited the Rose Bay Convent. It featured a mix of 19th century and modern buildings, beautiful gardens, and rolling fields. And since it was located on Rose Bay, it had a gorgeous view of Sydney Harbour. (The view was so pretty that I asked them if they'd let me live there due to my "unattached" status. But they said I'd have to switch religions. Darn.)


More to come . . .

No comments: